Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dress Diary

You know, I think I should do one of these.

So, I will soon be attending an event with a Venetian Carnivale in the 1500's theme.  As I never go along with the exact theme (Polish for a Russian event, Korean for a Japanese event), I'm making Italian.  Florentine though, and 1480's.   I bought this pattern package from Reconstructing History.  I decided to go with this style because it's depicted on women with builds similar to my own- slimmish.  The later we go in Italian patterns, the more voluptuous the women get and that's just not my body type.  Furthermore, these dresses don't require any sort of corset or other highly structured underwear.  Specific inspirational portraits are:

Sandro Botticelli, Portrait of a Young Woman


This image is what my underdress- the gamurra- will look like.  I am going to make the dress out of a very fab red wool with matching reversable sleeves (reversing to white velvet).  Also my hairdo will be like this one, and I will need hair extensions.

There's also an overgown called a giornea.  Here is a nice picture: 


I have nowhere near enough hair to do that 'do, not even with extensions.  I have bangs!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment